Home Motorcycle Accidents

Motorcycle Accidents Are Rising On Our Busy Roads

Motorcyclists are inherently at a disadvantage regarding their safety on our roadways and highways in Florida and across the nation. A motorcycle operator has far less protection than that of a motor vehicle driver, and is often the victim of accidents and injuries as a result of other motorists’ lack of vigilance, awareness of their surroundings, and the blind spots of the vehicle.

Orlando motorcycle accidents continue to rise as Florida roads become more crowded, and drivers are more distracted than ever. With the addition of cellular phone texting or talking while driving, and a whole host of other distractions, there has been an increase of traffic accidents involving both automobile drivers and motorcycle operators.

In fact, it has been discovered that 40 percent of all traffic collisions involve the use of a cell phone. That does not necessarily mean that a cell phone was the cause of the accident, though it does not help reaction time. Additionally, texting while driving has been found to be six times more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol. Contact our Orlando motorcycle accident attorneys for more information.

Motorcyclists Have the Same Rights and Responsibilities to the Roads as Other Motorists

In the state of Florida, motorcyclists have the same rights, as well as responsibilities, as car and truck drivers. You have the right to the full lane, while at the same time you have the responsibility to never pass on the shoulder of the highway during times of slow moving traffic. Understanding your rights and that you belong on the roadways just as much as any of the other vehicles is important. If you have been harassed or injured due to careless driving, you have the right to hire an experienced Orlando motorcycle accident attorney and to file suit against the negligent party.

Motorcycle Injuries Are Typically More Severe – Seek Legal Help To Understand Your Rights Under Florida Law

Reported injuries from accidents involving a motorcyclist, on average, are typically more severe than that of automobile or other motor vehicle drivers. Due to the nature of motorcycle crashes amongst larger traffic, the injuries are quite often very severe. There are no airbags, seat belts, or roll cages on motorcycles and, as such, many motorcyclists use extra caution while riding. The same cannot be said for other road users that feel cocooned in the safety of their SUVs or large trucks. Common injuries include traumatic brain injuries (even if a proper helmet is worn), spinal cord injuries, broken bones, torn ligaments, serious hand and foot injuries, and severe road rash. Many of these injuries take extensive time and resources for proper healing to occur. A traumatic brain injury is one of the most serious of all injuries, and it can take a year or more for proper speech, memory, cognition, and other motor skill abilities to return. Often, in very severe cases of traumatic brain injuries, proper function never does return. If you are unable to return to work due to your motorcycle crash that was caused by another, you may be entitled to significant compensation. Contact an experienced Orlando motorcycle attorney to discuss your options.

Multiple Parties May be Found at Fault in Motorcycle Accidents Within Florida

Florida is what is termed as a pure comparative negligence state. Here, courts may decide that there are multiple negligent parties, and award a percentage of guilt, and therefore compensation, to each. As an example, if you were riding with your lights out in the evening and were hit, you might be found fully negligent for the accident. However, in the same situation, but instead the other driver was found to have been speeding excessively, you might be found 20 percent at fault and the other driver found 80 percent at fault. In that case, they would be responsible for 80 percent of your damages.

Under Florida law, when a motor vehicle driver, including the motorcyclist, are injured and/or have property damage as a direct result of someone’s recklessness, carelessness, or negligence, the motorcycle accident victim may have a legal right and the ability to seek compensation for economic compensatory damages, non-economic compensatory damages, and/or damages for pain and suffering. Contact our Orlando motorcycle accident attorneys for more information.

Contact Us For a Free Case Review

If you have questions, concerns, or legal needs regarding a motorcycle accident or other personal injury liability issues, we urge you to seek the legal advice of our experienced injury attorneys. Contact us today if you have been injured in a motorcycle or other motor vehicle accident. At Hogan P.A. our lawyers offer assistance and will guide you with insurance questions and claims, and will also negotiate with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.